Monday, September 8, 2008

A New Project


I'm working on a new project, or maybe I should say another project. It's a replica of this raw edge collage sweatshirt jacket I made in 2004. I've had more comments on this jacket than on anything else I've made. I've even been stalked while wearing it! Ok, maybe stalking is too strong a word for someone following me around in a fabric store or a quilt show...

All this for what was kind of a "throw away" project. I just wanted to figure out how these things were made so I went at it. And the collar, which seems to be of such interest, was made using the "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" method.

This is what the surface of the jacket looks like:




Anyway, I agreed to show the Renegade Militant Seamstresses how to make one, so I am making what will be a partially completed example.

The trick has been to remember how I made the first jacket it so I can put together a handout. I'm pleased to say that I am remembering more than I expected.

I'm making the new one in blue. Here are the fabrics:



You can see the blue color of the base sweatshirt on the lower center to right edge. I got it at 80% off in the men's department of a chain store. Must have been too girly a color to sell...

Now I'm arranging my patches on the sweatshirt. The first major decision point is what to do with the fabrics that have a lot of white. They look awfully white on the sweatshirt. At this point, I think I will take them off and substitute ones with more blue.

And then what to do with the already cut patches I won't use? Another project?

No comments: