Wednesday, January 30, 2013
This gray jacket is my first sewing project for 2013. It’s a tailored jacket with a shawl collar and sleeve vents, and it’s fully lined. The gray wool tweed fabric had been in the cedar chest for a while.
Here are the sleeve vents.
I hadn’t made a tailored jacket for a while so I needed some reference materials. The Bishop Method book is from 1959. It’s the same book (but not the same copy) that my mother used when she took a tailoring course and made a gray suit for me in 1959 or 1960. There’s lots of valuable information in that book. The other books are newer, and they show methods for using fusible interfacing. That’s primarily what I used.
The fronts, including the undercollar, were interfaced with Armo Weft. All the other pieces were underlined with French Fuse. The chest reinforcement is French Fuse. The back stay is made of poly cotton. I made the shoulder pads from poly fleece, making my own pattern so they would fit this jacket. The sleeve heads are made of lambswool that must have come from my mother's stash. The lining is polyester.
The pattern is from 1989. Check out those shoulders!
One resource I did not have available was my favorite alterations book. Someone else checked it out of the library. The nerve! I’m third on the reserve list. As a result I was left on my own to make the many, many, many alterations. I made two muslins. Of course, I shortened the jacket and the sleeves. I lowered the back neck seam, adjusted the collar to match, narrowed the shoulders and the upper back, enlarged the biceps, and enlarged the waist and hips. By the time I was finished with all that and more, I had to draw a pattern for the lining.
And in keeping with the retro nature of this project, it was sewn entirely on my 1964 Singer. The Baby Lock was temporarily indisposed but has recovered by now.
This was a challenging, but very satisfying, project. I enjoyed re-learning lots of tailoring techniques.
It's not what I intended to make. 2013 is the fourth year I've used these very dark blue iris beads for my BJP. I enjoy working with them, and the dark sparkly beads are a celebration of the end of the year.
I started this on December 13. And then December 14 happened. As the unbelievable horror became apparent, my page changed. Like many others during this time, I was searching for the light.
The foundation is Lacy's Stiff Stuff painted with a mixture of black and azure blue Dye-na-Flow.
This piece contains 15/0s, 11/0s, 8/0s, hexes, triangles, cubes, drop beads, bugles and three Czech flowers.
I used the backstitch and the stop stitch.
The piece is 2.5 inches by 3.25 inches.
I used navy blue Nymo thread.
What I Was Thinking:
I spent a lot of time thinking about the tragic events of December 14. I spent a lot of time thinking about what we as a society owe our children. And by the end of the month I was glad to have found my own personal light as our family gathered for Christmas. I know that others are still searching.
Issues That Came Up:
The issues did not have to do with beading. This page was truly a journal of two weeks in December.