Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Green Page


I finally finished the green page for the screen/book I am making. This is the front of the green page. The fabrics are some I painted when I was doing a color movement series last summer.

I drew the shapes in reverse on the non-shiny side of freezer paper. Then I cut them apart and ironed the shiny side of the freezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric. I cut the fabric out, adding a seam allowance. I pressed the seam allowance on the left (convex) side under to the non-shiny side of the freezer paper. Then I removed the freezer paper. I fused some Misty Fuse to the felt "house" shape. Then starting with the largest piece on the left side, I fused the fabric to the felt. The pressed under convex seam allowance went over the top of the concave seam allowance on its left. There was no Misty Fuse between these pieces. Then I used a variegated thread and a machine buttonhole stitch to applique the curved shapes. I finished the edges with some rickrack that I painted with blue, green and yellow Dye-na-Flow.

The circular item sticking out on the right hand side is a CD. It is covered with painted paper towels and Mod Podge. Sticky stuff... Once it was dry I stamped on "dance" and finished the edges with more of the rickrack. It actually turns, but it doesn't spin wildly. Not at all wildly. It took several tries to get the CD attached. From the bottom, the layers are: The back of the page ( pictured below), Pellon #70, another piece of the green fabric, a flat button, the CD, another flat button, and the front of the page. My first attempt at attaching the CD malfunctioned. I ended up sewing through all layers with beading thread, and covering the stitching on the front with a fabric bead I made.


This is the back of the green page. I used the same fabrics here as I did on the front. I fused Misty Fuse to small pieces of each color of fabric and then cut the pieces into one inch squares. Then I fused another piece of green fabric to a felt, house-shaped backing. I arranged the squares on this green fabric covered backing, and fused them in place. Then I machine stitched using the same variegated thread. After the front and the back were put together (glued for temporary hold and then stitched around the edges), I glued more of the painted rickrack around the edges.

This process took about 2 1/2 weeks. Not continuously, of course. Grandma Ann wanted to know how I could work on so many different things at the same time. It's because I had to wait for stuff to dry in between the steps. Also, I like to ponder my options. I lean a lot closer to reflective than I do to impulsive. (Or as my son said when he was in high school, I'm a slow decider.) And it took three tries to get the CD the way I wanted.

2 comments:

Hélène H said...

I simply love this, the cilours, the concept, it's great !

Robin said...

Three tries and it's a winner!!!! I am sooooooooooooo smitten with this whole idea... painted rick-rack, turning CD, house shape, curved freezer-paper applique, painted fabric... EVERYTHING about it is right! Robin A.