Friday, October 24, 2008

Not Quite Pink--October BJP


Here is my October Bead Journal Page, Not Quite Pink. It is in acknowledgment of October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Technical Details:
Again I used Lacy's Stiff Stuff as a foundation. I sprayed it with some red Memories Mist so the Stuff would be somewhat not-quite-pink under the beads.


Most of the beads are 11/0. There are some 15/0, 8/0, 6/0 and bugles, plus a few hexes and triangles. Nearly all of it is worked in the back stitch. The little heart in the upper right is almost copper colored.

It is 2.75 inches by 2.75 inches.

I used Nymo thread. I started it with mauve thread and then somewhere along the line switched to light pink.

What I Was Thinking:
I chose a rosy peach color scheme instead of the pink usually associated with Breast Cancer Awareness. As a Survivor, I have mixed feelings about the relentless pinkness of October. You can see my October 1 post for the full rant.

The copper-colored heart is for my supportive friends and family. As a whole, I find the piece somewhat disjointed--I feel that unity and flow are missing. But that's what makes it a good journal entry for this month. It reflects my disjointed feelings. Although I finished September very early, I had a hard time getting started on this one. It was tough to get the needle moving through the beads until I knew I had "passed" my check-up.


Issues that Came Up: (Beading Issues)

  • The size works well. After I did the September page, I wondered if it were too small. But this size gave me time to do some other things without feeling rushed.
  • I like this color, and I certainly have a lot of beads left over. And most of them are sparkly.
  • This would be a wonderful color for a spirit doll.
  • But I need more not-sparkly beads.

Thanks to all who left supportive comments after my previous rant. The BJP has been good for me!

14 comments:

Joan Cromley said...

I like it! Definitely would look good on a doll too.

pam T said...

ooo Not Quite Pink turned out very lovely! It depicts your restlessness very well! great job.

Bobi said...

Fantastic! The disjointedness (is that a word?) is perfect to describe going through all that you have survived. A big hug and a *cheer* for working through this one.

Susan Elliott said...

Being a lover of pink, I too am irritated by the "pinkness" of October. Some things can be overdone. I love the selection of the rose color of pink...and I can also see how you would like to find some non-sparkly beads...I'm on the hunt for those too.

Sabine said...

I like this page very much. Having read the background information, I consider it a good start for celebrating your, so to say, second life.

Breast-cancer awareness seems to be a very prominent issue in the US. I had formerly thought Jeanette Shanigan's breast-cancer projects a more or less isolated personal issue, but realise now that this is not so. We do not have a Pink October.

Sincere wishes for a carefree future,
Sabine

shebaduhkitty said...

I am not a big pink fan, but I apprciate the work and symbolism behind this work. I love how you seem to create depth and design that just flows. Do you draw the idea on the fabric or just bead and it flows together? it looks effortless, but I am sure it was not :)

heidibeads said...

NICE! I am a pink lover too, this is full of movement and texture. It fits.

abeadlady said...

I really like the flow of this page. I, too, am not a huge pastel pink fan. I always opt for the deeper pinks and roses. Very nice.

Arline

Nancy K. said...

Both of your pages are lovely. I really like pink (all shades from rose to salmon, to pastel pink)and also like amber. I saw movement in both pages.

Nancy K. said...

I really like your pink page and also your amber page. Pink has always been a favorite color of mine in all shades. Amber has too. I think they would both make great spirit dolls.

KV said...

Wonderfully done, Marty!


Kathy V in NM

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!
I love pink shades and all the good work you've done!

Mary Timme said...

Marty, I love that no everyone is so heavy on the pink and has some issues with it. Most people I know go ga-ga and while I'm a liker of pink usually it does get a bit old in October. I love the Not Quite Pink theme as it is a relief to me to see shades of pink and rose as it should be for a monocolor. Good work.

If it is any help for the background, I use the actual photo against the stiff stuff. I borrow from the three artists who taught me everything I know about bead embroidery and use their techniques in combo. I use felt under the picture for depth, I use the actual photo--inks in most print shops are pH stable now--and I don't use the paper backing as the crinkling of it drives me nuts. It is a good technique, but my sanitity can't take it. Please feel free to use any things that help you that you want to try. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog.

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh this is gorgeous! I love your dolls too!