Saturday, October 11, 2008

Blue Jeans Jacket

Well, that's a misleading title! It should say "Jacket Made of My Favorite Color Blue Fabric in the Style of Jeans Jackets." But it doesn't.

It actually was a fairly simple pattern (McCalls 5191), and I was surprised at how quickly it went together. The pattern called for two-piece pockets with a buttoned flap just below the yoke seam. That didn't seem to go with this fabric. It also called for topstitched seams. I visualized various loose and frayed threads on the inside, as the jacket is unlined. So I decided to do flat felled seams for a more finished interior. The only time consuming part was searching for the buttons. I had to go across The Big Lake to find enough of the same color.

This is the fabric. It is cotton and lycra with a jacquard paisley pattern. And did I mention in my favorite color? It is a Jones of New York bolt end. I found it at Fabrications, when we stopped on the way to St. Gregory's Abbey. I used a #14 topstitch needle and polyester thread because of the stretch. A lightweight knit fusible interfacing is in the collar, cuffs, and front and lower edge facing. Those with dyslexia may not notice that the photo above is upside down. Bloggers who are tired didn't notice it either.

I wanted to finish the facing and hem edges because all the other seams were finished. Folding them under seemed like it would leave a ridge. So I found some coordinating fabric in the Fabric Storage Cave and used a Hong Kong finish. The arm hole seams are bound with the same fabric.

All I need now is some place to wear it!

No comments: