Friday, May 22, 2009

What To Do? What To Do?

Well, I'm in a quandary. What to do? What to do?



I decided that I would use moonstone as my birthstone, and I found some beautiful jewelry using blue moonstones. Extremely expensive. But blue moonstone--just the thing for my doll, I thought. I made and stuffed the doll. Then I made the face cab and painted it a lovely light blue. She has a minor scar on her cheek, so I put the project aside for a couple of days while I contemplated plastic surgery or a total face transplant. Hey, lots of time till June 15.



Then Thursday, I stumbled into, er, made a special trip to, our not-quite-local bead store. I was feeling flush, with a pocket full of crumpled dollar bills and quarters. I had been reimbursed for supplies by participants in I workshop I had just taught in that town.

Then I saw it: A tube of beads labeled "Moonstone Mix." They were cream, white, peach and grey. I was smitten. The perfect colors for my birthstone doll. And then there was a coordinating tube of satin Delicas also labeled "Moonstone." I was beyond smitten. I was in love!




I went into meditation mode, trying to keep myself under control. I spent half an hour looking at every single bead in the shop. Twice. And then I purchased. Woo-Hoo!

Now I have to decide if I will use the little blue doll or change my color choices and make a new one. Lucky for me, I don't have to decide right away. I'm going an indigo dyeing workshop all day tomorrow so there will be no beading.

Don't worry, Little Blue Doll. Mommy loves still you.

3 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Wow. These beads are georgeous! I love your bead style. Keep the doll you have. This will be perfect!

Robin said...

Can't believe you had to think about it, even for a moment! The moonstone mix and satin seed beads are gorgeous and will be perfect for your doll. I agree with Carol about keeping the doll you already made. She's perfect.

25 years ago (er.. maybe 30?) I used to do a lot of metal smithing and buy lots of wonderful and expensive cabs. I think I still have a moonstone or two. Would you like me to send one to you? Email me at robin[at]robinatkins[dot]com if you do.

Robin A.

Susan Elliott said...

Oh yea! I'm so excited -- I love Marty's dolls! And this one looks like a stunner. That soup mix is perfect and so are the other beads -- a great start, I'm thinkin'
And yes, keep the doll, it doesn't look very blue at all in the picture plus it's a very pale blue if it is...Good luck!

ANd, oh boy, Robin's gonna send you a moonstone...